With the first snowfall always come magnificent visions of steaming roast goose stuffed with apples and dried prunes, sugar plums, and candied grapefruit peels-- the old-world delicacies featured in the beloved Hans Christian Andersen stories of my childhood. Candied citrus peels with chocolate fondue is the perfect treat to curl up by the fire with after an exhilarating day of snowshoeing!
Chocolate Covered Candied Citrus Peels Recipe:
- Organic Orange, Lemon, & Grapefruit, 1 of each
- Salt, 3/4 teaspoon
- Sugar, 1 cup
- Dark Chocolate, 8 ounces
- Grand Marnier, dash
- Cut strips of peel from the fruit.
- Boil water, citrus peel strips and 1/3 teaspoon salt for 10 minutes.
- Drain water and rinse citrus peels in cold water.
- Repeat three times.
- Bring sugar and 3/4 cup of water to a boil.
- Let citrus peels simmer in sugar water until mixture starts to solidify and peels are fully coated.
- Place candied peels on a piece of parchment paper and allow to dry for at least 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate and an optional, though well-advised, dash of Grand Marnier to a metal bowl set over simmering water.
- Dip candied citrus peels in melted chocolate.