Limoncello is one of my favorite tastes and traditions from Italy. What a delightful way to conclude a meal! The Italians sure know how to indulge!
Limoncello Recipe; or, When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Limoncello!
- Grain Alcohol or Vodka, 750 ml
- Sorrento Lemons, 8
- Water, 4 cups
- Sugar, 2 cups
- Peel lemon rinds, carefully avoiding the pith.
- Combine lemon peels and vodka in a large, airtight jar.
- Reserve peeled lemons for Granita di Limone.
- Age for 1 week in a cool, dark, dry place. Shake contents daily.
- One week later, dissolve sugar in water by boiling. Let cool.
- Strain the lemon peels and combine the alcohol and sugar water.
- Bottle the limoncello and store in the freezer.
- Serve chilled and straight as a digestif.
Granita di Limone Recipe
(Recipe from Elizabeth David's Italian Food) Ingredients:
- Lemons, 6-8, enough to produce 1/2 pint of juice
- Water, 2 cups
- Sugar, 1/2 cup
- Squeeze the lemons to get juice.
- Boil water and sugar for 5 minutes to create a syrup.
- Let syrup cool.
- Combine lemon juice and syrup.