Is there any confection more delightful than meringue? I think not! Meringue makes everything more whimsical and enchanting. Meringue makes me feel like Marie Antoinette- Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette- escaping to the Petit Triannon at Versaille to indifferently snack on colorful petit fours.
- Egg Whites, 5 large
- Brown Sugar, 1 1/4 cups
- Vanilla, 3/4 teaspoon
- Pink Grapefruit Zest, 1 1/2 teaspoon (grapefruit scent is a powerful aphrodisiac!)
- Sanguinello Zest, 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Pink Food Coloring
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar in a bowl over simmering water until sugar dissolves.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in Vanilla.
- Divide meringue in half.
- Add grapefruit zest and pink food coloring to one half.
- Add sanguinello zest to the other half.
- Using a cookie cutter, make meringue hearts on a parchment lined baking sheet, placed 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours.